We are excited to share some changes in the way we communicate with you if we see something suspicious on your Debit Card! Now available, you will receive an automated phone or text alert immediately when an unusual transaction is identified or blocked.
CAP COM has never used text alerts to notify members about fraud on their accounts before March 27. Here are some tips to help you know when the message is really from CAP COM and not from fraudsters trying to convince you to provide sensitive information.
- When we see an unusual debit card transaction, we will immediately reach out to you via phone. If the phone number we have on file for you is a mobile device that can receive text messages, you’ll receive a text message from us.
- You can respond via text
- Text “YES” to let us know that the transaction was legitimate. We’ll respond to let you know your account is ready to use and you can re-try any blocked transactions immediately.
- Text “NO” to confirm that the transaction was not legitimate. We’ll respond to let you know that your card will be blocked to prevent further risk. Then, contact CAP COM as soon as possible for a new card or to dispute charges.
- If you don’t have a mobile number on file with us, we’ll call you on your landline and leave a voicemail. You’ll call back and follow the voice prompts to authorize or deny the transaction. It's easy to update the phone number we have on file for you. Log in to Connect-24 online banking, choose "My Settings" and then choose "Update Contact Information," or just give us a call.
- We won’t ask you for any sensitive information. The only items we may ask for verification of are your phone number and your zip code. When we contact you via text or phone, we will provide specific information about the transaction in question and will ask you to verify if you did or did not authorize the transaction.
- Our partner Fraud Department can be reached 24/7 via phone at (800) 889-5280.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about our Fraud Alert system.
Will I be charged for the alert?
In most cases an alert you receive to your landline phone will not cost you any money and your return call to us is also toll free. Alerts to your mobile device may count against your mobile plan voice call or text message rates.
Can I opt out of receiving text fraud alerts?
Yes, instructions for opting out of the text alerts are provided in each message you receive.
Can I receive alerts via email?
Not yet. We are looking at email alerts for a future enhancement.
Who will be contacting me?
In both voice and text alerts, the CAP COM Fraud Department will be identified as the caller or sender.
Does this mean my card will be blocked more often?
No! Our new system is more intuitive and accurate; however, you may experience an initial increase in notifications of potential fraud as the system learns your normal spending patterns.
How do I update my phone number so I can receive text alerts?
Just login to Connect-24 online banking, choose "My Settings" and then choose "Update Contact Information," or give us a call.
As always, YOU are your own best line of defense. We encourage using Connect-24 online banking as well as our mobile app to monitor your account. Be aware of transactions you don’t recognize. If you have any questions or feel you have been a victim of fraud, call CAP COM right away at (518) 458-8986 or (800) 634-2340.
Watch for new, convenient options in the near future that will allow you to customize the way your debit and credit cards are protected!