Most of us are familiar with computer viruses. But, did you know that your smartphone or tablet is at risk too? Industry experts say that viruses aimed at mobile devices, known as mobile malware, are on the rise. These new threats are aimed at obtaining everything from your personal banking information to your list of contacts.
More than two-thirds of smartphone users don’t realize that their device could be infected with mobile malware, according to a recent study. Malware that targets Android smartphones has grown by more than 70 percent over the last few months and other devices are also coming under attack. You can take steps to protect yourself from mobile malware.
Here are a few tips to ensure that your information and your device stay safe:
- Only download apps from a reputable app store.
- Install anti-virus software on all your devices.
- Review your mobile statements for suspicious charges. If you do see such charges, contact your service provider immediately.
- Always use a secure wireless network when browsing and downloading apps.
- Never respond to text or voicemail messages with personal information.
- Never click on a link in an e-mail, social networking site or message from someone you do not know.
If you have any questions or think you have been a victim of fraud, please contact our Risk Department.